The M16 & M4 carbine family of firearms fires 5.56x45mm NATO ammunition (.223 Remington). It’s functions are described by the military manuals as – gas-operated, air-cooled, magazine-fed, selective fire firearm with a telescoping stock. This is a light recoil fun to shoot weapon. It is obviously based upon the venerable rifle used by the U.S. military since the Vieitnam era, the M16. It takes what the M16 started to a new level. I would dare say that most rifles purchased on the civilian market today are M4’s compared to AR 15’s (M16 civilian model).
According to Websters dictionary a carbine is “a short-barreled lightweight firearm originally used by cavalry” Without doubt the M4 is what it was designed to be – a military firearm. It is also true to the words of Websters definition with the exception of the fact that it’s use is pretty much universal, not just limited to cavalry.
The M4 is not the ideal firearm for hunting large game, but it’s a sporting firearm in that it is extremely fun to shoot on the range. It also has application in the hunting of varmint and of course it is an effective weapon for self defense, though a bit overkill for this purpose in civilian life.
Over penetration through walls make any rifle a liability in home defense unless you live alone out in the country and are possibly expecting the Huns to appear at any moment.
Nonetheless it is a great weapon and what most soldiers are carrying in today’s conflicts. The civilian variants are what we are talking about on this page.
If you have the need to disassemble an M4 for a quick cleaning this video demonstrates how easily this is accomplished. The dis assembly shown here is sufficient for 80% of the maintenance the weapon requires.
Go below to the links area where you can find a link to the M4’s technical manual in .pdf format.
If you purchase an M4 it is essential to zero the weapon for each specific user to ensure accuracy. This is accomplished on paper targets at 25 meters. An example of the target used by the military to zero this weapon is above. Of note is the text on the target about turning the elevation knob to 8/3 on the target. This is not necessary on the M4 carbine for zero and should not be done.
Photo of a battle damaged M4 taken by SGT Ahner; Rachl M.
- ARMY TM 9-1005-319-23&P
- This is the technical manual (operation and maintenance) used by the U.S. military for the M4.
- Technical and Professional discussion forums for enthusiasts of the M4 and AR15 family of weapons
- M4 Carbine – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- M4 Carbine From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Free Targets! Shoot to your heart’s content!
- Print Free Targets – Make sure you scroll down the page. Target links are further down the page.
- Avtomat Kalashnikova obraztsa 1947 goda is the Russian terminology for this weapon. Developed in 1947 by Mikhail Kalashnikov for the Soviet Union. This weapon is the most prolific assault rifle in the world. The AK-47 is the #1 illegally smuggled and copied weapon in the world. It can be obtained le
- ‘ Online Order Center
- Model 1 Sales is a company that sells pretty much any part or accessory that you would ever need for the M4, M16, or AR 15 variants.
- Century Arms Auctions
- Online firearms auctions.
Ship My gun
Shipping your gun at your door.
What is the best assault rifle of all time for family survival-yes it is-